Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Bringing a knife to a gunfight

When I first conceptualized this record, I wasn't quite sure how to make it happen. There are a lot of logistical issues when the other half of this duo is a 12 hour drive away. This is not an easy way to work, but it is possible and we are making progress. Will goes in to the studio on March 20th for drum tracking.

It was suggested by a friend that it would be much easier to find a drummer here in Denver, or just do it myself. Well, there are a couple of reasons that I really wanted Will to be involved in this project. Mainly, Will always gets what I'm trying to do in a song, and supports that vision with his drumming. I trust him completely to make the right decisions for the song. It doesn't hurt that he brings mad chops to the table that are way beyond what I can do on my own.

Below is a short clip of Will demonstrating one of the songs we are working on. He sends me these clips so I can hear what he is doing and we can discuss it. He has my guitar parts and a click track in his headphones. Notice the rock faces and the stick twirls at about 12 seconds and 30 seconds in. If only we could get those on the record somehow. =).




So, that's a little bit about how we are working over long distance and why we are choosing to work this way. I hope you enjoyed the video, and feel free to share it. Check out Will's other youtube videos as well. Subscribe to our youtube channel, more videos soon.

Until next time.
S.A.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment